Tue, 21 April 2009
This is the first episode in a series wherein host Tim and listener/volunteer Colin redesign the blog page for the show at www.DesignCritique.net. Our process for this "case study in the making" is:
1. Colin designs a new look and feel using only his impressions as a long-time listener of the show, with no input from "the client" (Tim). Tim wants to see what Colin would do without any input from "the client".
2. Colin interviews Tim to ask questions he normally would ask a new client (this here episode, in fact) regarding branding opportunities for and background of Design Critique.
3. Colin iterates his "client-free" design based on what he learns in this interview.
4. Tim, still not having seen Colin's first two designs, tells Colin his own goals for the new blog page, including both big picture concept and nitpicking details.
5. Colin creates a design based only on Tim's (the client's) needs.
6. Tim views all three designs, which will be shared with the listeners.
7. Colin and Tim debate the merits of the three designs and invite listeners to help evaluate their strengths and weaknesses through several UX methods.
8. A final design is iterated and put into production.
You can find Colin's website at